A joint project of the International Society of Applied Biological Sciences (ISABS), Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Croatia and the Croatian Education and Teacher Training Agency
The ISABS Future Scientist Award
The Scientific Committee of the International Society for Applied Biological Sciences (ISABS) in cooperation with the Croatian Education and Teacher Training Agency and the Croatian Ministry of Science and Education awards the best Croatian high school students' papers (essays) with The ISABS Future Scientist Award. The papers (essays) must be in the field of human biology, genetics and chemistry. ISABS will also reward all teachers-mentors of the winning students.
High school students from Croatia wishing to compete for the award must submit their essays via the official ISABS web page (www.isabs.hr). The results of the competition will be published on the same web page.
The application deadline is the 1st of May 2019. (Natječaj će biti otvoren do 1. svibnja 2019. godine, a 15. svibnja 2019. na web stranicama ISABS-a (www.isabs.hr) objavit će se rezultati selekcijskog postupka.)
The application must contain:
- name and surname of the student and the teacher/mentor;
- contact e-mail address and number of the student and mentor;
- name of the school and street address, the class that the student attends and the place from which the student comes;
- description of previous student achievement (average grade point, awards, etc.);
- biography of the mentor with special regard to the results in teaching and science (up to 2500 words).
Guidelines for Essay Submission:
- student essay in Croatian and English (description of the experiment he/she was working on or discussion on some important topics in literature) in the field of human biology, genetics and chemistry (2000 to a maximum of 2500 character spaces);
- It is preferable that submitted Essay has: the Goal, Material and Methods, Results, Conclusion.
The Scientific Committee ISABS will award six (6) students and their mentors for the best paper (essay). The following Nobel prize winners will participate at the award ceremony: Avram Hershko (Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2004, The Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel), Robert Huber (Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1988; Max-Planck-Institute, Martinsried, Germany), Paul Modrich (Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2015, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA) and Ada Yonath (Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2009; Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel). The award ceremony is planned to be held in the city of Split, hotel Le Meridien Lav during "The 11th ISABS Conference on Forensic, Anthropologic and Medical Genetics and Mayo Clinic Lectures in Translational Medicine on 19th of June 2019".
The awarded high school students will receive The ISABS Future Scientist Award, the appropriate certificate, cash prize and free registration for participation in all sessions of the conference including lectures of the Nobel laureates, the opening ceremony of the event and gala dinner. In addition, they will be handed the full set of materials (book of abstracts, special volume of the Croatian Medical Journal, etc.). Furthermore, their mentors will be awarded free participation in the conference and an appropriate certificate. Winners are required to display their work at the conference in the form of posters.
The scientific papers will be judged by the following committee:
- Robert Huber, Ph.D.(Max-Planck-Institute, Martinsried, Germany).
- Dragan Primorac, M.D., Ph.D.(Universities of Penn State and New Haven, USA; Universities of Split, Rijeka and Osijek; St. Catherine Specialty Hospital)
- Moses Schanfield, Ph.D. (George Washington University, USA), the chair,
- Tome Antičić, Ph.D. (Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Croatia),
- Olgica Martinis (Education and Teacher Training Agency of the Republic of Croatia),
- Frederick Bieber, Ph.D. (Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, USA)
- Tamas Ordog, M.D., Ph.D. (Mayo Clinic, USA)
- Henry Erlich, Ph.D. (Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, USA)
- Gordan Lauc, Ph.D.(University of Zagreb and Genos)
- Prof. Saša Missoni, Ph.D.(Institute for Anthropological Research, Croatia)
- Henry Lee, Ph.D. (University of New Haven, CT, USA)
THE PURPOSE OF THE AWARD IS:
- To encourage young people to engage in science from an early age,
- To enable the awarded students and teachers meeting the world's leading scientists including Nobel Prize laureates,
- To promote knowledge as the basis of Croatian future.
The organizers of "The 11th ISABS Conference on Forensic, Anthropologic and Medical Genetics and Mayo Clinic Lectures in Translational Medicine" are ISABS, Mayo Clinic and the Special Hospital St. Catherine; the co-organizers are the George Washington University, Penn State University, University of New Haven, universities of Split, Osijek, Rijeka, University North, Children's Hospital "Srebrnjak", Croatian Society of Human Genetics, Croatian Society of Personalised Medicine, International Centre for Applied Biological Sciences, Unfallkrankenhaus-Berlin, Regiomed Clinic, Medical School Regiomed, Institute for Anthropological Research, Genos, Croatian Competitiveness Cluster for Personalized Medicine, University hospital for infectious diseases “Dr. Fran Mihaljević”, Ruđer Bošković Institute. Special partners of this year’s Conference are The American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS), Croatian Medical Chamber and Philips. The conference is held under the auspices of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts.
Support in the realization of the conference is given by: Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Croatia, Ministry of Health of the Republic of Croatia, Ministry of Tourism of the Republic of Croatia, United States Embassy in Croatia, Split-Dalmatia County and the City of Split