MOST SUCCESSFUL HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS OF THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA WITH NOBEL LAUREATES
A joint project of the International Society of Applied Biological Sciences (ISABS), Ministry of Science and Education and the Croatian Education and Teacher Training Agency: «The ISABS Future Scientist Award»
The Scientific Committee of the International Society for Applied Biological Sciences (ISABS) in cooperation with the Croatian Education and Teacher Training Agency and the Croatian Ministry of Science and Education awards the best Croatian high school students' papers (essays) with The ISABS Future Scientist Award. The papers (essays) must be in the field of human biology, genetics and chemistry. ISABS will also reward all teachers-mentors of the winning students.
High school students from Croatia wishing to compete for the award must submit their essays via the following button:
The application deadline is the 1st of May 2017.
Results of the contest will be published on the ISABS official website www.isabs.hr.
The application must contain:
- Name and surname of the student and the teacher/mentor;
- Name of the school, the place from which the student comes and the class that the student attends
- Description of previous student achievement (average grade point, awards, etc ..)
- Biography of the mentor with special regard to the results in teaching and science (up to 2500 character spaces);
- Student essay in Croatian and English (description of the experiment he/she was working on/discussion on some important topics in literature) in the field of human biology, genetics and chemistry (2000 to a maximum of 2500 character spaces).
The Scientific Committee ISABS will award six (6) students and their mentors for the best paper (essay).The following Nobel prize winners will participate at the award giving ceremony: Robert Huber (Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1988; Max-Planck-Institute, Martinsried, Germany), Paul Modrich (Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2015, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA), Harald zur Hausen (Nobel Prize in Medicine 2008; German Cancer ResearchCenter, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany) and Ada Yonath (Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2009; Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel).
The award giving ceremony is planned to be held in the city of Dubrovnik, Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, during "The 10th ISABS Conference on Forensic, anthropologic and Medical Genetics and Mayo Clinic Lectures in Translational Medicine on 21st of June 2017".
The awarded high school students will receive The ISABS Future Scientist Award, the appropriate certificate, cash prize of 1,000 kuna and free registration for participation in all sessions of the conference including lectures of the Nobel laureates, the opening ceremony of the event and gala dinner. In addition, they will be handed the full set of materials (book of abstracts, special volume of the Croatian Medical Journal, etc.). Furthermore, their mentors will be awarded free participation in the conference and an appropriate certificate. Winners are required to display their work at the conference in the form of posters.
The scientific papers will be judged by the following committee:
- Prof. Moses Schanfield, Ph.D. (George Washington University, USA), the chair,
- Sanja Putica, prof.,(Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Croatia),
- Prof. Arezou A. Ghazani (Harvard Medical School and Dana-Faber Cancer Institute, USA),
- Lydia Lugar, prof., (Education and Teacher Training Agency of the Republic of Croatia),
- Prof. Frederick Bieber, Ph.D. (Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, USA),
- Prof. Tamas Ordog, M.D., Ph.D. (Mayo Clinic, USA)
- Prof. Timothy Palmbach, Ph.D.(University of New Haven, USA)
- Prof. Henry Erlich, Ph.D. (Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, USA)
- Ass. Prof. Saša Missoni, Ph.D. (Institute for Anthropological Research, Croatia)
- Prof. Henry Lee, Ph.D. (University of New Haven, USA)
THE PURPOSE OF THE AWARD IS:
1. To encourage young people to engage in science from an early age,
2. To enable the awarded students and teachers meeting the leading World's scientists including Nobel Prize laureates,
3. To promote knowledge as the basis of Croatian future.
The organisers of "The 10th ISABS Conference on Forensic, anthropologic and Medical Genetics and Mayo Clinic Lectures in Translational Medicine" are ISABS, Mayo Clinic and the Special Hospital St. Catherine; the co-organizers are the George Washington University, Penn State University, University of New Haven, universities of Split, Osijek and Rijeka, University North, Children's Hospital "Srebrenjak", Croatian Society of Human Genetics, Unfallkrankenhaus-Berlin, Regiomed Clinic, Medical School Regiomed, Institute for Anthropological Research, Genos and Ruder Boskovic Institute. A special partner of this year’s Conference are The American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) and Philips. The conference is held under the auspices of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts.